Staff and Governance
JusGov is composed by the Director, the Executive Board, the Coordinating Board of the Scientific Committee, the Scientific Committee, the External Advisory Board and the Researchers.
The Director is elected by the Scientific Committee.
The Director shall:
Represent the Center;
Ensure the coordination of the different projects and activities;
Coordinate the activity of the Center in accordance with the purposes defined in the
Manage the human and material resources made available to the Center;
Approve the admission of members;
Managing the financial resources allocated to or obtained by the Center, namely those attributed by the University, the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and other financing entities;
Convene meetings of the Advisory Committee and the Scientific Council;
Convene and preside chair plenary meetings of researchers;
Ensure compliance with the deliberations of the Scientific Council and the Board of Directors.
The Executive Board consists of the Director and members nominated by the Director within the Doctorate Members.
The Executive Board coordinates the institutional collaboration among the UM and the participating institutions, liaises with the Law School’s Board for the organisation of training activities and human resources related matters, decides on the allocation of funds and supervises the day-to-day management of the Centre.
Coordinating Board of the Scientific Committee
The Coordinating Board of the Scientific Committee is composed of the principal investigators of the different research groups of Jusgov and the coordinating researcher.
The Coordinating Board of the Scientific Committee shall:
Coordinate research, post-graduate education and technology transfer activities;
To ensure that research groups are linked to the Executive Board;
Prepare a strategic plan according to the general guidelines defined by the Scientific Committee;
Give its opinion on the annual and multiannual plans of activities, the budget and the report.
The Scientific Committee shall be composed of all Doctorate Members of the Centre and shall be chaired by the Director.
The Scientific Committee is responsible for the definition of the Centre’s research strategy and programme and for the supervision of its implementation.
External Advisory Board
The External Advisory Board is composed by individuals, who do not belong to the Centre, who have a recognized merit in the research areas of the Centre, or in areas considered to be of strategic interest for their development.
The members of this Board shall be appointed by the Scientific Committee of the Centre, on a proposal from the Executive Board.
The members of the External Advisory Board are the following:
- Carlos Gaspar – IPRI – Universidade Nova de Lisboa – Portugal
- Flávia Piovesan – Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo – Brazil
- Hans-Jörg Albrecht – Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law – Germany
- Hildegard Schneider – Maastricht University – The Netherlands
- Jorge Miranda – Faculdade de Direito – Universidade de Lisboa – Portugal
- José Joaquim Gomes Canotilho – Faculdade de Direito – Universidade de Coimbra – Portugal
- José Manuel Pureza – Faculdade de Economia – Universidade de Coimbra – Portugal
- Milagros Otero Parga – University of Santiago de Compostela – Spain
- Ruth Rubio Marín – University of Seville – Spain
To support the work of the Centre, JusGov has a small management committee comprised of one administrative expert, one financial experts, and one IT expert.
- Administrative expert – Joana Mota Rego
- Financial experts – Célia Rocha
- IT expert – Pedro Rito